Sunday, October 04, 2009

Life in the Burbs

With all of the exciting events that have happened in the last few weeks, I have failed to mention how MUCH I LOVE life in the suburbs!!!! I got my haircut yesterday and the hairdresser was asking if I missed living in such a 'fun' part of Dallas - and as I thought about it, I thought NO!! I really don't miss it at all!! Truly, the only thing I miss is that our sweet friends Becky and Isaac lived down there and we'd walk sometimes on Saturdays or meet for coffee randomly in the week. But they came down and visited us last week - and after driving to the country, they didn't think that we were as crazy as they used to! They see why we love it out here!

I knew we had made the right decision (not that I EVER doubted it) when we went to la Hacienda last Friday night for a family date. There were kids EVERYWHERE - literally. First thing after we sat down, the waitress said, "Oh, let me bring him some kids silverware!" and they brought out a napkin wrapped around their own kiddie silverware! Then, after our waiter came, B. started throwing his food on the floor and being a little rowdy. I sweetly apologized to him for the mess we were about to make, and this was his reply: "This is Frisco. We love kids, don't sweat it!" I was so excited!!!

Please don't get me wrong, we never had a bad experience up in Lakewood (or thereabouts) when we took B out on the town. The only thing for me was that we were almost always the ONLY ones with a kiddo. It's not that they weren't welcoming, we just feel so much MORE welcome EVERYWHERE out here. I love it.

(B. loved la Hacienda, by the way. He loved the big grizzly bear and the riding horse outside!)

We have been enjoying the quiet life out here. We play in the front yard with the neighbors in the afternoon and the girls next door kick the soccer ball around in the street. We went to a neighbor's birthday party last weekend and played in a bounce house. We went to a real nursery and worked in the yard all weekend last weekend. (Pictures to come....) Jeff and I both love not worrying about locking our doors (that may come back to bite us...) when we go on a walk. We are no more than 15 minutes from church and our parents... which is QUITE a change.

BUT, as much as Jeff and I both love it... our two little ones love it even more. Brady and Georgia absolutely LOVE our house, our yard, our street and our neighbors. B. likes to collect acorns from our front yard (so does the neighbor boy) and put them in his beach bucket. He's discovered you can see through the cracks in our fence - and he loves peeking through to the alleyway. Brady throws Georgia's toys in the backyard for her (although not far) and they just follow each other around all the time. I think they'd be outside 24 hours a day if they could.

We are absolutely blessed to have all this new space. I cannot put into words how grateful I am for all the prayers leading up to this time from all of you. Some of you know it was a long time coming for us, and we prayed and prayed for God's perfect timing and I believe we got it.

No comments: