Thursday, April 17, 2008

(by Jeff)

I love Mark Twain's quote, "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

Last week, 30 minutes after Brady was born, one of my lifelong best friends, Blair Robinson, handed me a gift for Brady. It's truly one of the greatest gifts he'll ever receive, and one that I know he'll keep forever... his first pocket knife.

As you can see below, Blair had Brady's initials engraved onto a silver plate on the wooden handle, and then also had the words "Wild at Heart" engraved onto the blade...




John Eldredge, in his book, "Wild at Heart" says:

"Adventure, with all its requisite danger and wildness, is a deeply spiritual longing written into the soul of man... Deep in a man's heart are some fundamental questions that simply cannot be answered at the kitchen table. Who am I? What am I made of? What am I destined for? It is fear that keeps a man at home where things are neat and orderly and under his control. But the answers to his deepest questions are not to be found on television or in the refrigerator"

Eldredge goes on to say:

"A man needs to feel the rhythms of the earth, he needs to have in hand something real-- the tiller of a boat, a set of reins, the roughness of rope, or simply a shovel."


So, in one sense I guess I don't ever want Brady to grow up. But honestly, I can't wait to witness the many adventures my son will have and the many lessons he'll learn -- all with his trusty pocket knife in hand.

No comments: