Friday, February 05, 2010

you've got to be kidding.

i broke my sewing machine today.

"broke? you must be exaggerating!" you say.

"nope, BRO-OOOKE!" i say.

"how?" you ask?

well, after all of the wonderful comments, suggestions, emails and texts i received on my previous post, i got into the sewing mode. i looked up all sorts of random ideas on sewing blogs. i spent hours on etsy trying to find cute things to 'copy'. i was sooooo inspired.

so today, i swung by hobby lobby, as i have a gift certificate there, and picked up two 'calico prints'. one pink, one blue. and then i picked up two 'minky' fabrics. one pink, one blue. {see where this is going?} i decided i would try my hand at making some baby blankets, loveies, burp cloths, whatever i could think of and simply practice.

{side note: my girlfriend who suggested i get a sewing machine just found out she's having a girl - so i know that she would more than welcome being my guinea pig... hence the pink fabrics}.

so, i got home, put brady down for a nap and got started. i pulled out a few 'scrap' fabrics i had left over from his nursery and cut them to size for a 'lovey', pinned them, threaded my bobbin and was ready to start.

no one {i repeat no one} told me that i'm not really supposed to be sewing on thick fabric. or let's just say, there's probably a special way to sew on thick fabric that i didn't know about {p.s. how was i supposed to know about that?!?}

so, needless to say, an hour later i was on the phone with a sewing place in plano walking through how i threaded my bobbin. every time i'd pull the needle down to pick up the thread, it would hit some sort of metal.

"were you sewing on a thick fabric before this happened? did you have to sort of tug it through, ma'am?" the elderly woman asked me.

"uh... yes, that's exactly what i was doing. why?"

apparently, i 'threw my machine out of time'. WHAT??? i didn't even know it was possible to break a sewing machine, short of breaking a needle, that is.

so.... it will cost me no less than $80 to get a brand new sewing machine fixed.

my dreams of being a sewing goddess were whisked away as soon as they arrived.

bye bye, bobbin. bye bye, needle. bye bye, cute baby blankets. i will see you soon.

No comments: