Saturday, May 09, 2009

"Structured" Play

Brady has started having temper tantrums the last two or so weeks, and as much as I would like to say he's getting a tooth, I don't think that's the case. I think it's more like he's been getting every toy that he wants when he wants it. Whenever we're playing at the house - he plays with all his toys, all at once. I am kind of thinking he's getting a little A.D.D. because he won't sit and play with one thing for more than a few seconds before moving on.

Please don't get me wrong, I play with him, read to him, we sing silly songs, go on walks, etc. It's just that I feel that maybe he's getting a tad bored. (Maybe it's more like I am getting bored...) None of his toys are new... and as much as we LOVE our trucks and cars, there isn't really anything for him to figure out on those quite yet. I can tell that his mind is working more, and he's starting to 'get' things. My keys are not out of sight out of mind anymore. If we're at the store, he knows they're in my bag and will throw a fit until he gets them. And let me tell you what, I will not have it anymore. The Leach House is about to lay down the law.

Along with all of these tantrums, comes the issue of our 'schedule'. As many of you know, we 'scheduled' Brady from the time he got home from the hospital. I know there is some controversy on this, but it worked so well for Brady, and for us. I don't really know what we would be doing without the initial schedule. A few weeks ago however, I could tell we were kind of going through a 'nap transition' where one was getting shorter and the other one longer, as well as staying up later and getting up later. So I decided I would just kind of feel it out until I figured what would work best for him and for us. Three or so weeks later, I'm still 'feeling it out' and it's become disastrous! I feel like we're both kind of 'off' and I need to get back to being a little stricter with our 'schedule'. I've always been a laid-back kinda gal, and Jeff's always been the more structured one... so he's getting a kick out of me making a new schedule for us to use as a guide. I say guide because I'm a firm believer in being flexible with a little one!!

As I started thinking more about our new schedule, I decided to add some 'structured play time' to our day. This was brought about by all of the items above, but also through an email my friend Julie sent with a whole bunch of websites with activites for your kiddos. My favorite one she sent was The 1+1+1=1 Blog. It is wonderful. This lady actually has 'school' for her kids, and I don't plan on doing that... I just want B. to sit with me and focus on an 'activity' for 10 minutes or so. There were several great ideas on the website that B. is just too young to do, but I've pulled some of his toys out of his basket that we can 'work through' together.

(The pictures are coming, I promise!)

I decided to test the 'structured' thing out yesterday after B. got up from his morning nap and had eaten lunch. I sat some blocks in front of him with a wooden salad bowl and showed him how to put the blocks in the bowl. At first he just played with the blocks and then played with the bowl, but after a little while he began actually putting the blocks in the bowl! I was honestly amazed that he picked it up right away! I set my kitchen timer for 10 minutes but we played at the table long after the 10 minutes were up. He kept flipping the blocks, we'd stack them up and he'd knock them down. It was such fun (for us both!)

Any ideas for 'structured' activities for a 13 month old? Let me have 'em!!





2 comments:

Missy Rooney said...

Oh my goodness Becky that is the best blog for activities!! It is still too advanced for us right now too- but it is seriously just what I needed to see! Thanks for sharing!

Missy

Anonymous said...

P has liked stringing cherrioes on a string (and eating a few or putting them into an old plastic water bottle. He LOVES water though- a bowl of water, and empty one, and a spoon can keep him entertained forever putting the water back and forth!