Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Verse of the Day

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life-in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing." Phil 2:15-17


Thanks to my friend Missy, I searched for Jon and Kate's website last night during their new episode. (Which was totally cute, by the way). If you haven't been to their updated website, it is wonderful and it gives me goosebumps thinking about the impact that they can have for the Kingdom of God.

Anyway, I clicked under devotionals and Kate is apparently trying to post one of their favorite verses once a week for a year (Labor Day 2008- Labor Day 2009) and a devotional that she teaches the kids along with it.

Under one of the devotionals (I actually think it's the current one), it had Phillippians 2:15 "Do everything without complaining or arguing". I thought, "Wow, do I need that verse every moment of every day or what?" But what is even more interesting, is when I went to re-read it this morning in my Bible, I read the entire sentence and it struck me differently. There is a REASON we are supposed to live this way. I tend to think of this verse as more of a "nice thought" than actual scripture, but how blasphemous is that? It IS scripture. It IS God-Breathed, God-Inspired, God-Ordained.

As Jeff and I experience what seems like a long season of waiting, I would like my life to look like this. I would like our marriage to look like this. I would like our parenting to look like this... and eventually I would like Brady's life to look like this, despite seeing both of his parents continuing to fail at it.

I hope you are as inspired by this passage as I was this morning. What would the world look like if all Christians lived life this way?

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Thanks, Becky! I love those verse...not sure why as it is SO convincting to me...but it's literal...there's nothing tricky or hidden about it. Just super challenging.

Ashley said...

Great reminder to us all! I need your new email address when you get a chance! Thanks! Ashley