Saturday, May 10, 2008

Peace and Quiet




I never knew how much I appreciated quietness until recently. (I am sure most moms can agree!) On Thursday, Brady was extra fussy and extra needy. He wouldn't stop crying unless I was holding him. He didn't take a nap all day and he kept pumping his little legs up and down! I did some research on that little "move" that he was doing and found out that is how they try to get gas bubbles out. And then when I started to think about it, I realized that I hadn't heard him 'toot' in a while. So I bit the bullet and headed off to the store to get Mylicon (the gas drops!).

There is a CVS right around the corner from our house, so I thought that this would be an extra easy outing for us. I was still in my PJ's since I hadn't been able to put him down for more than a few minutes without him absolutely screaming, and I thought that CVS wouldn't be too offended, as I'm sure they see people dressed like me all the time. But when I drove up, there are 3 police cars at the entrance, and the automatic doors were stuck open. There were customers still going in and out but I was sitting there in my car for about 5 minutes, surveying the situation and deciding whether or not to take Brady inside. (Remember, that while I'm "surveying" the situation, Brady's in the backseat crying....).

So I opted out of going to the drugstore and decided to go ahead and head to Target, even though it would be a longer trip. We get to Target and I put Brady, who is in his carrier, in the grocery cart (still crying, but I'm trying to hold his pacifier in his mouth as I walk so it's not as loud...). As I walked into the store, I completely hit a lady in front of me with my grocery cart. Yep, that's right, I ran into a PERSON... not a car, a PERSON. She wasn't very understanding either. I really almost burst into tears right there on the spot and I really wanted to say "I'm so sorry, but please understand... I just had a baby and he's been crying all morning and I'm just trying to make it stop and this is my first time with a grocery cart by myself and I am doing the best I can!!"

But this only lasted for a moment, I breezed right past her after saying 'I'm sorry' a total of 15 times, got my drops and got out of there!! Immediately after I got home I gave Brady the drops and he started 'tooting' 10 minutes later!! Still fussy, but now it's probably because he's so tired!! When he finally went to sleep I still heard the crying in my head!! Every time I made a move, I thought.. "Wait, is that him crying?" But thankfully he is fine now, and asleep!! YAY! So like I said, I never knew how much I liked the quietness of the morning until I didn't have it anymore!!

1 comment:

Jeff and Steph said...

Becky, we feel your pain and know exactly where you're coming from! :) It's nice to know that there are others out there who're dealing with the same thing...how to get things done with crying babies. :) Stephanie