Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Spit Up and Smiles!



Yesterday we decided to get the Activity Mat out because we are definitely looking for new things to do besides tummy time and our swing now that we're awake more. He is definitely 'focusing' on the toys hanging off of the mat... its amazing what excites me these days! But today when we got on the mat, Brady decided to be Mr. Spit Up!!

This is how our afternoon went: spit up, wipe it off, turn around, look back, repeat. Even when he went down for his nap! He would be doing fine, talking to himself, and then all of a sudden I would hear on the monitor I shocking wail! I knew that was him spitting up and kind of surprising himself. He was spitting up his bottle so much this afternoon that I think he probably spit up the whole thing! No one tells you how often you're going to be changing the sheets and washing the mattress pad, or you probably wouldn't even mess with buying a bumper pad! :)

But other than that, we've been moving toward a new development... SMILING! I was thinking today about that Look Who's Talking movie where the baby is talking... and I was thinking of what Brady must be saying in his head when I'm trying to get him to smile. Today when I was in his face, making goo goo eyes and weird noises trying to get him to smile, all I was saying was "Do you think Mommy's silly, Brady? Aren't I so silly?" If he could talk, I bet he was saying.. "Oh my gosh, you are such an idiot, Mom. I'll smile when I want to, K?" (Can't you tell I am already looking ahead to the teenage years!)

But he is starting to smile, even at me when I kind of get in his face, or when Georgia does! It's not a full on smile yet, it's more like a mouth open smile. I got some pictures of it, but they're kind of hard to get, so they aren't so good. I'm sorry about the one with the spit up in his mouth... you can tell I had just gotten done with the "wiping" portion of the cycle. (Oh, and I must post a disclaimer that these pictures were shot with our "old" camera, so they didn't turn out as well.)

Brady is a growing boy, too! Last night in the middle of the night, he finished his 4 ounces that we usually give him and he was still hungry, so I fixed 2 more and he ate it all and then fell right asleep! I am not expecting that to be a usual thing, but who knows? He also has slept from 10 until 4 the past two nights, and on Mother's Day he slept until 5:45! We're getting there, slowly but surely, we're getting there! Now, if I could just learn to sleep through all of that instead of wake up every five minutes and wonder if I hear him crying! Any tips on that, or will I just get used to it and eventually sleep through it all?



3 comments:

The Bird Family said...

you will eventually get so tired that you will just pass out...I now have to make sure the monitor is turned up really loud so it wakes me!!! He will get to sleeping through the night and then just when you get used to it - he will change :) Madelyn is almost a year and still wakes up sometimes! He is so precious

Hillary Kouba said...

I always thought I heard Katelyn crying at first too but you will get used to it and will start sleeping better. Especially as he starts sleeping more but it's hard when you are strying to drop feedings and you know they will wake up crying not to constantly think about it! He is precious!

Anonymous said...

Becky - it helped me finally get a good night's sleep when I realized that Ethan would be just fine if I didn't run in to his room the moment that he woke up...so I turned the monitor way down to just the "lights" and since we live in a small house, I could still him if he was really wailing (with the a/c off)...I think it helped both of us. He learned how to fall back to sleep, I learned that he could fall back to sleep...it happened for us right around 6 weeks, but I have a monster of a huge baby (5 mos. now, and 18.5 lbs)

Call me when you can - I would love to hear from you on how you are doing!