Sunday, December 13, 2009

a milestone.

so... for a few weeks, i've been 'pre-training'.

for what? you may ask.

well.... with the encouragement of a sweet friend of mine... i've decided to run (okay jog. let's be honest - i just want to finish...) the rock 'n' roll half marathon on sunday, march 14, 2010. so.... since i've never.ever.ever run before, i've been trying hard to get up to a comfortable 3 miles. i've been comfortably at 2 for a while. hey, i've done 2.5, 2.75 and even 2.9... but i just couldn't seem to get to 3... mentally i had a block. i couldn't do it, how would i EVER get to 13.2????????

well....


i did it.... on saturday.



with the help of that same sweet friend.

even though she can run WAY faster than me, and even though she was running in the white rock relay the very next day, she challenged me one week ago to sign up for the frisco frosty 5K and run with her. (okay, so really, she'd be running with me.)


(here we are before the race)


this is the mass chaos before the race.


this is some weird chick who had on a unitard. (did i mention it was 40 degrees, cloudy and raining? oh yeah. i think that adds on a mile or two, right?)


not only did i do it, but i finished in 34:30... way sooner than i thought i would. (if you are a runner, you know this is not fast... it's just fast for me.) i'd been running right at a 12 min. mile and this put me at an average pace of 10:51. can i get a woo-hoo? no? is it just me that is excited?!

here we are, about to cross the finish line - and yup, that's a smile on my face!


ummmm.... go ahead and click on the picture below to make it larger. yeah. that's my calf muscle. wow.... i look like a body builder, don't i? from the knee below, of course.


if you think you see a teary-eyed me, you're right. i'm honest enough to admit that i was proud of myself.



after our run (some people may consider it a jog)... we all went to the original pancake house to enjoy some breakfast. yummmmy. b. had a great day.... donuts with daddy and mr. joshy for breakfast, and then pancakes, fruit and chocolate milk for a mid-morning snack. his tummy couldn't have been more full.


be on the look out for more running updates. ha. i just registered for a 10K in january... and i think a few of my mommy friends are going to be running with me... right? (i'll let them tell you who they are before i steal their thunder!)

can i get a woo-hoo?

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Way to go, Becky!
I'd love to join in on the 10K run in January!

Olson Family said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! I am thinking about doing the rock n roll in March as well! When is your 10k? I'm all for coming down to hang out with friends:) I MISS YALL!!!

Sarah Sherman said...

Becky - I'm so proud of you. Congrats on completing the 5K and signing up for the Half Marathon. I can help you train if you want!