Tuesday, February 08, 2011

while they were sleeping.

i made this little scarf while the littles were sleeping on saturday. it was easy. peasy. if you're a beginning sewer, sew this! seriously, that's how the tutorial is advertised! my friend, lindsay, had made one before christmas that was darling {and she never put it on her blog - so linds - put it up!} and i searched the crafting blogs for one similar. her's was definitely cuter, but this one works.

click here for the tutorial.

a few notes.

first, i wish i had a knit or jersey knit fabric. it's cute but i feel like my normal 100% cotton fabric is too rough & tough for a nice and flowy scarf. maybe i should wash it with extra fabric softener and see what happens?

second, don't be scared of the elastic thread. i was. but there was no need. i don't know why i haven't used it before, it was that easy. {it was mixed in right next to the normal thread at my joann's, and it had a big "elastic" above it. couldn't miss it.}

third, in using the elastic, you should know that the elastic WILL show on the back. for me it's no big deal, because i'm kind of folding it over anyway to get it to lay right. {again with the rough & tough fabric}. but just be forewarned. the small amount of perfectionist in me got annoyed, but again, since it's such a small amount of perfectionist, i got over it quickly.

happy sewing!

3 comments:

the paper nest co. said...

Very cute! I'm going to have to try it- I have a ton of yards of voile- do you think that would work or would I need something more sturdy? Btw- I'm Dustin's wife- may have met you at homecoming but I'm not sure! :)
Cute blog though!

Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

Hey! It's Jessica from over at Sew
Homegrown! The scarf looks great and thanks for linking to my tutorial!

Kampen Family said...

posting, posting...here it comes!