Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cabo San Lucas - Part Dos.

I went into Target this morning and nonchalantly said, "hola!" to the lady greeting me at the front. Unfortunately for me, she was indeed Hispanic... which meant she probably took offense to what I had said. It's just habit! Our high school spanish came back to us REALLY quickly while we were in Cabo, and Jeff and I soon began to compete in who could hold the best conversation with the Riu Palace workers.

One night when we got back from dinner, I desperately wanted a piece of the Riu cheesecake. Jeff sweetly complied and called room service and ordered a piece for me. Thirty minutes later, I was almost asleep and there was still no cheesecake, so Jeff called room service back to cancel our order. Of course, we weren't worried about getting charged (All-Inclusive includes late-night cheesecake), Jeff was just trying to be nice and not have one of the workers make the trek up to our room on the 4th floor. Needless to say, it was a five minute conversation, where I only heard one side of it and it sounded something like this:

"Hola! Yo necessito cancel mi ordero.....Si.......No, terminado........no queso.......no cak-ay.....habla ingles? Yo ordered cheesecake....queso-cake..... No quiero cheesecake anymore.... Si..... habla ingles? Yo necessito terminidad mi ordero para cheesecake....." and so on.... I was dying laughing by the end. We did receive two phone calls from the front desk afterward making sure they had our 'order' right. Needless to say ten minutos later, we received cheesecake. Suprisingly it wasn't a plate of cheese.

On Monday morning (or was it Sunday?), Jeff decided we needed to go take a look at the famous 'rock' in Cabo and tour 'Lover's Beach' right by there. (I have NO idea why it's called this... it's really not any big deal). He wanted to rent a wave runner and cruise on out there. Well, as I mentioned in the earlier post (at least I think I did) the swells were humongous, so they weren't running the jet skis for the day (thank the Lord!) The beach people recommended us walking down a ways and catching a water 'taxi' (and I use that word loosely) over there. For sure, this would be safer, I thought.

I am SOOO thankful that we didn't take Jet Ski's (Jeff is too, I think). We would have died, I'm sure of it. Either by accident, or by Jeff putting us too close to the cliffs and a wave crashing us into it. As it is, Cesar (our 'guide'), put our 'taxi' (a.k.a. river raft) close enough to the cliffs that my knuckles were turning white as I held on. (Did I mention he had a CD player on the boat and was blaring Michael Jackson "Black or White"). Ha.

It was totally worth it though. We saw 'Mexican Turkeys' (also known as Pelicans), seals and lots of fish in the little glass bottom window of the boat. I think even Cesar was getting scared at a certain point that we were getting too close. I think it's probably pretty calm normally, just not the day we decided to go. People, it was $10 to go out there... and MORE than worth it!!!! I'm so glad Jeff suggested this... I would totally recommend it.












Can you see the seal at the bottom trying to get up to the other seal? Every time the waves would rise, this little seal (Albert) would try to reach the seal that was just being lazy in the sun (Carl). Soooo cute.

On this particular night, Jeff decided we needed to go to CABO WABO. Wooo-hoooo. The pictures I had looked up on this place before we left were WAY more 'crazy' than I would ever picture in a vacation setting. It looked loud and 'rockin' with the band. Needless to say, Jeff just wanted to check it out. Can I just tell you that we were one of three couples there? We watched the Lakers game and ate a YUMMY cheeseburger and nachos. It was actually really good food, and afterward we were looking for an ATM and stumbled upon a lot of merchant shops. They were soooo trying to jip us... but we weren't having it! Jeff tried to bargain them down, but they wouldn't budge... and neither would we! We went home that night empty handed!








Jeff tried on a Dallas Cowboys version of the Nacho Libre mask.


The Infinity Pool

The next night, Jeff had a massive sunburn. I have pictures, but Jeff is holding them hostage from my blog... and in an effort to be a submissive wife, I'm trying my best to resist posting them. It was awful (and this is the part where I get to say, "I told you so!"). His first words to me that evening were, "I so wish I had listened to you..." That's what you get when you are virtually ON the equator and basting in the sun with nothing but 4 SPF suntanning oil. No, I may not have gotten an awesome 'tan', but I'm certainly not burnt and will not get skin cancer as a result of my trip to Cabo San Lucas.

Unfortunately for us, this was also the same night we had reservations at the VERY romantic Edith's. Ahhhh..... it was wonderful. I wish Jeff had been feeling better because he would have so enjoyed it more, but oh well. He barely touched his chicken fajitas (which he tried at ALL the restaurants we went to), and the waiter was concerned until Jeff said he wasn't feeling well. The sweet waiter laughed and said, "oh...hangover?" Jeff simply replied...."sunburn!". Ha.





Jeff was picture happy. I was happy to not be on the other end of the camera for once.



2 comments:

jmc said...

I laughed out loud at your cheesecake story, I can totally hear Jeff talking to them. Funny!!
joanna

Jen said...

I'm so glad to see that you guys ate at Ediths! that was our favorite :)