Thursday, November 13, 2008

BLOG UPDATE PART 1: Like Father, Like Son

Last Saturday Mimi and Pappa Ron kept Brady overnight for us. Jeff went out with his friends and I was looking forward to a night at home by myself! I hadn't had one since before Brady was born so I was very MUCH looking forward to this. I was looking forward to relaxing, eating a frozen pizza, indulging in some girlie movie and taking a hot bath. Did I do any of those things? No. Ok, I did eat my frozen pizza, but I did it while I was standing in the kitchen making baby food! Goodness, gracious! It's hard to do 'nothing' when you are so used to multitasking all day long for 7 months!

Anyway, I get a phone call around 8:00 from Jeff when he's on his way to Plano Super Bowl from dinner. He gets 'upset' with me for not sitting down and he wants me to put away the baby food and relax! Okay! So I finally sit down with the last piece of my pizza and my movie. Then I get another phone call. Jeff has locked his keys in his car. I had no problem making the 30 minute drive each way out to Plano Super Bowl to drop off his extra key, because I just used it as an excuse to go to Pokey-O's! Yummy!!!

Now, I have to back track here for a second. Ever since Jeff and I got together in high school, we've ALWAYS had trouble with his keys. He would leave them places, he would lock them in his car, he would lose them... it was never really a big deal, but kind of became a joke. So after about a year of dating, I began to keep up with his keys for him (and still do) so it's kind of funny that the one night he's out with the guys, he locks them in his car. (Jeff is WAY more responsible than me in a lot of things, but this just isn't one of them, sorry Honey!)

So, this story makes it a lot more funny to tell you what happened on Sunday.

We were meeting Jeff's parents on Sunday morning before church to pick up Brady so we could check him into the nursery and get his carseat back, etc. but when we pulled into the parking lot, we couldn't find them. Jeff called Ron on his phone and this is the end of the conversation that I heard.

"Hey dad, where are ya'll?"..... "Oh, he is? Is he okay?"..... "They are on their way?"..... "But he's okay?"..... "We'll see you in a sec."

Jeff turns to me immediately, "Okay Becky, don't freak out. I'm kind of freaking out." Again, not a great way to start a conversation.

He then proceeded to tell me that Brady had gotten locked in the car with the car running with the keys in the car. MUCH less worse than I thought... especially since it was a cool morning outside. He told me the fire department was on their way to get him out.

So Brady got to meet his first real firemen. They came to church in the big red firetruck with their sirens on. (You'd think for a situation like this that they could just come in a regular truck or something). Pappa Ron felt horrible but Jeff and I were really able to laugh it off, because it could happen to anyone. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to us yet!! But Brady asked me to write this letter to his Pappa Ron before he went to bed on Sunday night:

Papa Ron,
I just wanted to tell you that I had so much fun with you this weekend. I really like to laugh with you and when you feed me my bottle. I like to ride in the car with you. I really liked meeting the firemen today and seeing the big red fire truck! Please do not feel bad! I really had a fun time, I promise! And my mommy and daddy are laughing about it, they aren't upset at all!! Thank you for taking me for walks and pushing me in the swing! My mommy doesn't push me as high as you do! I am so lucky that I get to play with you every week!! You are the best Papa Ron!
I can't wait to see you on Thursday so we can play outside!!
Love,
Brady


Here are some pictures of Brady with the firemen:





2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh no!!! This is hilarious! I'm glad you could laugh about it.....

Hillary Kouba said...

So funny! Jeff's mom told me the story and she said they still felt bad but I assured her that if that's the worst they do, then they are the best grandparents ever!