Thursday, November 06, 2008

Why Policemen Terrify Me.

I was thinking about this today as I turned into a CVS parking lot three blocks from my house when I realized a cop was following me. Ok, he probably wasn't following me... he was just in my rear view mirror. Actually, it ended up not even being a cop at all, but a white ford taurus that had that special black 'grill' thing on the front of it.

So as I was saying... policemen terrify me. They actually only terrify me when they're on the road with me. Truthfully, only when they're on the road when I am on the road. I have been trying to figure out when this all started, because I've only been pulled over once. When I was in high school. In a school zone. In front of the school, while every single one of my friends was driving by. While I had an expired license. Thankfully, I didn't end up getting a ticket, nor have I ever gotten a ticket. In fact, I don't even drive fast. I maybe got 5 over the speed limit... and that's when I'm in a hurry. If I sense a cop, see a cop or even smell a cop, I got 5 UNDER the speed limit. So, why do they terrify me? I have nothing to be afraid of, right?

Does anyone else identify with me? I have absolutely no reason to be scared, but I am! Maybe it's from years of being absolutely scared to death of having to call my dad and tell him that I got a ticket. Maybe it's from the two or three times the cops caught Jeff and I 'parking' in the Tinsletown parking lot. (Oh come on, I know you got that light shined in your face too!) Maybe it's because I drove for 2 years in college without getting my car inspected. In fact, I think that's it. That's when it all began! So, now that my car is inspected and my registration is up to date and my license is renewed, I shouldn't be terrified anymore. Right? Right.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

They scare me when I'm driving, too. My reaction...hit the brakes...no matter what. That's a bad/dangerous reaction! Talk about GUILT...yikes!

jmc said...

Me too, Becky. Joanna thinks I'm odd when I see a cop, my my stomach and my heart have a get together in my throat at the site of a cop. My therapist tells me I have some sort of regressed fear of disappointment which plays out in tensing up when I see a cop. (For the record, I am my own therapist...)