Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote for Something! (and then go to Starbucks!)





This morning, I woke up extra early to be the first in line at the church down the street, casting my vote in this year's election. Much to my dismay, I was not the first, but probably the 50th and I got there just before 7, when it opened. (I could blame this on the #2 of Georgia's I stepped in while I was walking out the door, therefore having to clean it up and change shoes, thus being later than I had hoped, but I won't). I waited in line for about 15 minutes before it was my turn to check in and get my ballot. I could have checked 'straight ticket' but I didn't, because I wanted to go through each line and mark in my vote, absolutely savoring the moment.


I had tried to go a few times last week, but when I had Brady, the line just seemed too long to wait in, so I decided to wait until Jeff could be home so I could go by myself. I have to say that I got a little emotional as I was standing in line. This is totally unlike me to get emotional about something like this. I tend to get worked up about sentimental things, yes, but a once-a-year event like this would not have normally gotten this response. I'm not sure why I started to get teary, but nevertheless, I did. There were so many people around me, waiting in line before work, or before they start there day, to exercise their right to vote in this great country of ours.


I felt so patriotic, and it was such a simple thing. So many people simply don't even think about all that the country has gone through to get to this point (including me). Honestly, I do think it is 'important' to vote, but I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to vote if it weren't for the super-politically savvy hubby of mine. (I know that when the day comes that he can check my voting record, he will).


I kept thinking about all of the people around the nation that are voting at that same moment. And all of the people who have voted in the past weeks. I started thinking about our grandfathers who fought for us and our 'right' to vote. I thought about how women were not given this right at first... and how minorities weren't given this right. How far we have come... and we've come that far by... that's right.... voting!


I've often wanted to write about my "Hot Sports Opinions" on the political realm, but I will be the first to admit that I am educated only slightly on the issues. There is one issue that I vote on and that's the way it will be until I am convinced otherwise. This may not be the "right" way to vote, but it IS the way I vote. (Jeff probably totally disagrees with me here). I choose to vote for life. What are you going to vote for? Our Troops? Our Taxes? Our Schools? Our Jobs? Vote.


So, like Gap, MTV, Starbucks and so many others have been telling you... vote for something, then go to Starbucks and get your free coffee! (I heard that Krispy Kreme is giving away free doughnuts too!)


***UPDATE*** I had to add this daily devotional from Dr. James Denison (pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church) that Becky emailed me this morning. Enjoy!

"The election is already decided... That's if you believe Monday Night Football, where the Washington Redskins hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers last night. Before the game we were told that the most reliable predictor of presidential winners over the last 17 elections has been the Redskins. When they win, the party which won the last election's popular vote wins the White House. When they lose, the party that lost the last election's popular vote wins the White House. In other words, if the Redskins won, Sen. McCain would win today's election. If the Steelers won, Sen. Obama would be our next president. Since the Steelers overwhelmed the Redskins, I guess today's election has been determined.

Of course, there's only one Person who knows who will win today's election, and he's not revealing the results this morning. But he has already determined the winner of an election even more important than the one being contested today. At the end of history, God "will gather his elect from the four winds" (Matthew 24:31). Peter wrote his first letter "to God's elect, strangers in the world" (1 Peter 1:1). Paul could say to the Thessalonian Christians, "we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you" (1 Thessalonians 1:4). Long after the new president's administration has come and gone, all who have made Christ their Lord will still be the "elect" of God.

As a result, your eternal security as the child of God is certain, no matter what happens in today's election or tomorrow's presidential transition. The global economic crisis, as challenging as it is, cannot touch your "retirement account" in heaven. The true King of Kings cannot be elected or defeated by human decision. As C. S. Lewis points out, the man who denies the sunrise doesn't hurt the sun—he only proves himself a fool. Your Father will be as much the God of the universe tomorrow as he was yesterday.

Today's election is indeed monumental and unsettling. This is the first time in 50 years that an incumbent president or vice-president is not running. We will elect either a first-term Senator or the oldest person ever to win a first term in the White House. The winner will inherit a set of challenges as grave as any faced by a new president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt assumed the office in 1933.

But these stressful times are no surprise to your Lord. He wants us to find hope and security in his presence, providence, and power. Indeed, "God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control" (2 Timothy 1:7, ESV). So name your fear and give it to your Father. Cast your vote for the One who has already voted for you. Then, no matter who wins today's election, you cannot lose. This is the promise of God."

No comments: